Homeopathic Applications in Dentistry
The following information is provided as adjunctive first-aid remedies
to help alleviate the pain or discomfort of common dental emergencies until
proper dental care can be obtained. These recommended remedial measures
are not intended to replace good dental care, but rather to function as
a safe, effective and conservative form of emergency and post-operative
Fear of Going to the Dentist
- Aconite: When an individual experiences fear with
a sudden onset of panic (about an upcoming dental visit) accompanied by
physical and emotional restlessness.
(Potency 12C - Five pellets the night before, the morning of and 45 minutes
before dental appointment)
- Gelsemium:For dental fears that are accompanied
by nausea, diarrhea, sleepy feeling or "weak knees."
(Potency 12C - Three pellets the night before, the morning of and 45
minutes before dental appointment)
Acute Dental Problems
- Arnica Inflammation and trauma from routine dental
procedures. Included in this category are post-operative swelling from injections,
extraction of teeth, gum surgery, preparation of teeth, soreness following
insertion of new full or partial dentures.
(Potency 30C - three to five pellets every 20 minutes until symptoms
- Hypericum: For nerve pain,
post-operative surgery (tooth extraction or gum work), toothache, sore dentures,
accidental facial trauma. (Potency 9C - three to five pellets every 30 minutes until symptoms subside)
- Myristrica Sebifera Prevention of abscesses. To
be taken 15 minutes prior to any invasive dental or surgical procedure. (Potency 6C - five pellets 15 minutes prior to procedure)
- Belladonna For
sudden onset of a gum or tooth abscess that is accompanied by redness, inflammation
and throbbing which is aggravated by the slightest touch. (Potency 6C - three to five pellets every 1/2 to one hour intervals until
- Ferrum Phos For post-surgical bleeding
following an extraction or gum surgery that is not controlled by pressure
with a moist gauze pad. (Potency 6C - three to five pellets every 15 minutes to a 1/2 hour until
bleeding is controlled)
- Hepar Sulphuris Calcareum Ideally
suited for a beginning dental abscess when accompanied by pus formation,
increased salivation and where the gums are tender to the touch and bleed
easily. (Potency 6C - Repeated doses of five pellets every four hours will encopurage
the pus to discharge and drain; higher potencies like 30X to 200X will supress
- Silicea: Used to enhance the drainage of pus.(Potency 6C - five pellets every four hours)
- Myristica Indicated when the abscess
is swollen and accompanied by numbness of the area as is often the case
with wisdom teeth problems. (Potency 6C - five pellets four times a day)
- Ledum Excellent remedy for
the post-trauma effects of dental injections. (Potency 30C - three to five pellets every hour until symptoms abate)
- Staphysagria Indicated
for incisions of soft tissues such as periodontal flap procedures, impacted
third molars where access flaps must be performed or periodontal graft procedures.(Potency 30C - five pellets every 30 minutes until symptoms abate)
- Apis memifica Used for sudden and rapid onset of swelling
accompanied by pink edema, pricking and burning pains. (Potency 9C - five pellets every hour until symptoms abate)
- Camomilla Ideal for delayed and difficult
tooth eruptions and for a whiney child who is restless and wants to be held
and pampered. (Potency 12C - three pellets every 1/2 to one hour until symptoms subside)
- Hypericum Well suited for
the nerve pain associated with tooth eruption. (Potency 9C - five pellets every 1/2 hour until symptoms subside.
Oral Herpes Lesions
- Graphites 7C, Petroleum 9C, Rhus Toxicodendron 7C
and Arsenicum album 7C All four medicines are utilized
to help resolve this painful lesion. (Potency for each of the four remedies - three pellets each, three times
a day at 30 minute intervals)
- Belladonna: Appropriate when the toothache is
accompanied by throbbing pain and is worse from motion, touch or chewing.
(Potency 15C - three pellets every 1/2 to one hour until symptoms subside)
- Magnesia phosphorica: Works well with toothaches
that are worse with cold and relieved by heat.
(Potency 9C - five pellets every 30 minutes until symptoms abate)
- Coffea cruda:Works with toothaches that are
worse from heat and relieved by cold.
(Potency 9C - three pellets every 30 minutes until symptoms abate)
- Aconitum Napellus Indicated for unbearable
pain accompanied by anxiety, restlessness that comes on suddenly and where
movement worsens the condition. The pain is sharp and tearing in nature.
Represents a severe pulpitis or inflammation of the nerve of the tooth.
(Potency 7C - five pellets every 15 or 20 minutes until pain subsides)
Severe Trismus (muscle spasms)
- Hypericum Perforatum Excellent for the
prevention of muscle spasms.
(Potency 9C - three pellets every hour until symptoms abate)
- Cuprum Metallicum This remedy is ideal
once the muscle spasms start. (Potency 9C -three pellets every 20 minutes until abated)
General Guidelines to Increase the effectiveness of Homeopathic Remedies
- Homeopathic remedies should not be touched. They must be taken directly
from the container into the mouth.
- They should be placed under the tongue and allowed to dissolve.
- No food should be taken either twenty minutes before or after the remedies
- Avoid taking coffee, tea or mint during use of homeopathic remedies.
These substances have the potential of neutralizing the effects of the remedies.
- Do not store the homeopathic remedies in areas that contain such products
as ether, camphor, perfumes or other highly volatile substances. These types
product will neutralize the homeopathic remedies.
- When the symptoms start to abate or resolve, discontinue the homeopathic
Even though the homeopathic medicines help to alleviate your problem,
you are strongly advised, as soon as possible, to seek the services of a
competent dental physician.
- Hypothyroidism: Common causes, symptoms, homeopathic remedies and prevalence [read here]
- Vaccine virus detox with homeopathic nosodes [read here]
- Warning to Dentists: Avoid the use of homeopathic mercury detox formulas at the beginning of amalgam removal treatment. If mercury is present in high concentrations, it will be quickly drawn into the cell with homeopathic remedies. [read here]